Saturday, January 14, 2006

Saturday Mornings Sans Smurfs

My grandmother jokes that Edgar is preparing me for children.  Since I've adopted him, I haven't slept past 8:00 AM.  He's usually trying to rally me about 6 AM, only if he hasn't gotten me up in the middle of the night.  This morning was no exception.

I didn't attempt to go back to sleep, but decided to flip on the TV.  What happened to the Smurfs?  Where were The Littles?  Saturday mornings have seriously declined since the 80's.  Instead of Heafty trying to charm Smurfette, I found a lot of reality tv shows with kids on NBC, the Discovery channel partnered with ABC, and CBS is targeting the pre-schoolers with Nick Jr.  It was terribly disappointing.

The comercials however, had not changed much.  You could always count on Ronald pushing cheeseburgers with plastic processed dairy product, gross sugary neon fruity drinks, and breakfast foods that have no nutritional value.  I didn't see Barbies, but Bratz.  Ok, for future reference, this is not a step up for feminists.  What parent in their right mind would buy a doll for their child with that kind of a name?  Oddly enough I didn't see a lot of male targeted toys.

You know the tv is bad when you begin to look forward to the infomercials.

No comments: