Wednesday, May 18, 2005

People say the darnest things...

I love quotations.  For a while I’ve been gathering them for scrapbooks or just great sayings that I put up in my office.  I go for the more original ones than those stupid “Achievement” or “Teamwork” or “Persistence” quotes with some stupid photo of a sunrise or other nature scene.  I find those to be just cheesy.

 

I’ve always loved quotes.  In junior high, I ran with the nerds.  They were my homies.  Yup, we were livin’ it up in the science lab!  Our idea of fun was to keep a running quote book that were random sayings taken completely out of context and written down in a spiral notebook.  A teacher finally confiscated it from us and we all got sent to the principal’s office.  I think that was my only time I ever got sent to the principal’s office.  But the real point of me telling you this is to show how much I love quotations.

 

About a year ago I rediscovered a paperweight in a store in Minneapolis.  I originally bought one for my girlfriend when she graduated from law school years ago and always regretted the fact that I never got one for myself.  I now have it sitting by my stapler.  It reads:  what would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?  What a great message!

 

Then there are those quotes that really just can’t fit anywhere although they ring in my mind.  I’ll keep the quotes anonymous. 

 

“Remember, there is no cure for stupid.” ~ A nurse from our E.R.  She was referring to the families who either come in for stupid reasons who think the condition requires emergent care as well as the families who come in after their own stupidity caused the child’s injury.  Think of the families who do things like let their child jump on trampolines surrounded by rocks.  Or let their child run barefoot by the lawn mower. Or let their child suck on hangers in department stores and then are shocked when it becomes lodged in the palate.  (All of these are true scenarios that have occurred multiple times in my 5 years of working in the ER.)  While this quote is funny to me, it is not appropriate for me to display in either a scrapbook or in my office.

 

“You can’t kill dead grass.”  ~ One of my best girlfriends from New Orleans.  I figure this must be a southern saying or something that her grandmother used to say.

 

“That ring is going to get a lot of use and it may as well be by you in the meantime.”  ~Grandmother referring to the family heirloom engagement ring my brother just got back from his ex-fiancée.  (My mother was trying the ring on at that moment.)  We’re not certain if she was referring to his dating habits/commitment issues or what, but it struck a funny bone in us.

 

“Its not medicine, its voodoo.” ~Boyfriend currently working on the newborn intensive care unit.  While it is very funny, it is also kind of true.  I think about the tiny babies getting stuck with needles, tubes, etc. I’m guessing that he will never become a neonatologist.  Again, it is not an appropriate quote for work.

 

People say funny things, whether it’s appropriate or not.  Be careful what you say because it might be immortalized in a quote book or in a blog!

 <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

 <o:p></o:p>

 <o:p></o:p>

No comments: