Friday, March 3, 2006

Retro Fit

The past two days I've been home.  Its given me time to nap, play with Edgar, dwell on the wedding details, and reinvent the comforts I knew 20 years ago.

My girlfriend gave me a very cool photo album.  www.kolo.com  She gave me the basic black album and photo corners.  I actually got caught up a little bit on this task and got through 2003.  As I sorted through the boxes of photos I could discard the ones where I look drunk (but I'm not), the ones where heads are cut off, and the others that really didn't contribute to the photojournalistic style I was going for.  I actually come from a very talented art and photographic family, but I didn't get that gene. 

While attaching the photo corners, I realized that the style of the album was pretty familiar.  My grandmother did a lot of albums. She had 6 kids.  Enough said.  I used to love going through the albums.  Sure the pictures were cool, but the stories and the memories were amazing.  Grandma would tell tales of river adventures with a travel group, her dude ranch experience when she was 16, and all of the family trips to southern Utah were documented. 

My fiance and I are in the process of picking a photographer.  This, by the way, is a nightmare.  When you realize that when all is said and done, all you will have left is a dress and some photos the pressure is on to pick the best you can.  One blessing is, a lot of them include an album they assemble with the photos you choose in the price. 

Ah, well back to the whole retro thing.  Yesterday I found the inspiration to make a crock pot recipe.  I called my parents to invite them to dinner tonight.  It takes hours/days to prepare a "simple no fuss" meal, ironic eh?  When I told my dad I would be making Carolina pulled pork sandwiches (don't know why this even sounds good) he asked how I even had a crock pot.  He hadn't seen one since 1983 when it mysteriously got "lost" in a move.  One of my Aunts gave it to me cleaning out her house years ago.  Its a nice crock pot.  It is beige with pastel pink and blue flowers on the outside and a deep brownish red pot.  Very, very 80's. 

This morning I woke up and had a Pop Tart (something I haven't had since I was in grade school, but it sounded good so I picked them up at the store yesterday).  I then began to assemble the recipe.  "Recipe" is a loose term.  I studied about 12 of them and combined what I thought sounded reasonable without paying attention to the measurements.  Could be good, could be gross.  We'll see in about 8 hours.

No comments: