Friday, February 23, 2007

Victimization 101

Studies have shown that people are attracted to a field for a reason.  I read somewhere that over 80% of psychologists have their own mental health issues.  I wouldn't doubt it.  I have found that people in mental health typically have one of two views of the world:  either they are the victim or the advocate. 

Today we had a planned water main shut down at work.  We notified staff ahead of time and chose the time of day when there were the least amount of clients scheduled.  Two of my teams typically take Friday's off so that also was a bonus.  This is a building where it looks really great from the outside but since my tenure we have had multiple power outages, heat failure, and leaks.  The staff have worked through it all. 

Once the email about the planned water shut off went out you would have thought I announced the sky was falling.  Doctors showed up in my office telling me it was a health hazard.  Supervisors told me it was "demoralizing" because by expecting staff to work without facilities sends the larger message that the organization doesn't care about their employees.  Are you freaking kidding me??  It is a two hour planned event.  Two hours.  What was even worse was the people who were complaining weren't even scheduled to work on Friday.

We have had the first floor of the building under construction due to failing foundation for over a year.  The water main issue is actually progress forward.  I did due diligence and followed things up with admin then wrote a detailed email citing that we only had 4 clients scheduled (which is a whole 'nother issue due to the low volume) and that they should not take this personally.  Really, I don't spend my nights awake thinking, "How do I make so and so's life a living hell?"  I didn't write that specifically, but it was a more diplomatic way of saying thank you for sharing your concerns but get-over-it, grow some kahunas, and choose your perception.  You could choose to see this as a negative or you could see this as a positive that construction is moving forward!!!  I also stated that if people had medical problems I would be more than happy to help problem solve things with them.  The clients were notified (all 4 of them) and I would provide bottled water, hand sanitizer, port-a-potties, and arrangements with neighboring businesses for those two whole hours!!!  I ended the email with, "I choose to assume good intent and expect my team members to do the same."  All was quiet on the Western front after that....until this morning.

I got not only a call from our CEO, but OSHA and the State Department of Health.  However, this individual did not leave a name because they feared "retribution."  What the???  Are you freaking kidding me??  Can you say, passive aggressive?  I have since spent the day writing letters to the powers that be, giving a heads up to PR, and working with the facilities director.  Of course, everything is in compliance.  All I need is for the news media to show up.  I seriously wonder if this person thinks they are a huge victim or an advocate?  Personally, I believe true advocates will take accountability and leave their name.

No comments: