Friday, February 25, 2005

Home is Where the Heart Is

It goes without saying that I am a "touchy-feely" kind of person.  I function mostly on gut reactions and use logic only as back up.  I never took a deductive or inductive reasoning class in college as I knew I would fail the sucker.  My decisions make sense to me (well, of course they do, I make them).  However, I can see how this can make other people in my life crazy. 

Recently I went to San Francisco with my boss for a Family Centered Care Conference.  Truly, it is a "well, duh" concept that most people don't get.  I spent four days listening to how people set up parent advisory committees (although never have them on quality review boards), try to coach staff to actually ask the parents what they want to have happen (eventhough they do not share this info with the docs who are making the care plan), and try to create a patient flow workspace (that is until the budget gets in the way.)  It was a frustrating 4 days.  I did have good food, see the ocean, and climbed a lot of hills which I suppose is what I picture San Francisco to embody anyway. 

About 6 years ago I thought I wanted to live in San Francisco.  I was actually applying for jobs in a city I had never visited.  It sounded like a great place to go.  It was diverse, social issue focused, liberal, and had a lot of things to do.  Somehow I got stuck back home, but this is a different story.  It is funny, but when I actually got to the city for my first time in 2001, I wasn't so impressed.  It was a great city, but it just didn't feel like my city.  It was too big.  There was too much traffic.  It was too cloudy and grey.  I felt isolated in a crowd.

I felt the same way about Washington, D.C..  I actually have dated two guys from that area and each time it got serious, I was approached about moving there.  I panicked.  I spent some time there in 1995 where I again faced the same grey, rude, big city, isolation.  No way, no how.  I could rationally go there and think, "Gee, if I loved the guy enough, our relationship would help me survive and thrive in the city."  Uh, wrong, try again!  My gut just couldn't agree.  There are other cities I know I wouldn't be happy in and they are as follows:  L.A., Las Vegas, New York, Houston, anywhere in Wyoming, anywhere in Idaho, Phoenix, Colorado Springs, Sacramento, Reno, Detroit.  I apologize to those who live there and are happy in advance of my judgement.

There are other cities I love.  I've spent little time there, but I know that I would be happy.  Austin, Texas.  I spent about 24 hours there and was ready to move.  I also know I would be extremely happy in Minneapolis, Minnesota.  The people are friendly, there are neighborhoods with their own character, a lot of culture, diversity, and its socially pro-active.  I didn't really mind the winter either. 

When I was ready to set up some roots I ended up in Salt Lake.  My decision to buy a home literally was a done deal in about two weeks.  What can I say?  My heart spoke to me. 

Other cities I would consider moving:  New Orleans, Atlanta, Dallas, San Diego, Boulder, Portland, Indianapolis (only due to loved ones there), Chicago, ... and others I cannot remember at this time. 

I wish there was a scientific way of examining cities.  There isn't.  I just go on what feels right.  I would consider moving to Wisconsin over Ohio anyday.  I couldn't tell you why, it just feels right. 

They say that home is where the heart is.  They also say that some of your closest family members are not blood related.  I believe in both statements; I'm just waiting until everything just "feels right." 

No comments: