Saturday, July 16, 2005

Editorials Unsolicited

This week I had my quarterly visit with my psychiatrist.  I realized I had very little to talk about in therapy as my life has been going relatively smoothly.  No lightening bolts have hit, no lotteries won; you get the picture.  Really how is it that a 15 minute time slot can really be operationalized into more than just a med check? 

I  brushed over work issues and the politics involved to which he responded, "Your job is too emotional."  I think he realized I was stonewalling so he began to ask about what my boyfriend was up to and how the relationship was going.  I simply mentioned that he was on the palliative care consulting service this month for his rotation.  His face contorted like he had sucked on a lemon.  So much for the blank page theory of Dr. Freud.  I reassured him that actually my boyfriend was finding enjoyment in his work this month and he also really enjoyed working on the hemetology/oncology service as well.  At that point in time he hit me with this social commentary:

"You guys are a match made in heaven.  Both of you are drawn to situations that are truly utterly hopeless."

I couldn't help but laugh.

No comments: