Thursday, September 22, 2005

I'm a Carrie, You're a Big

My boyfriend is addicted to "Sex and the City."  He actually told me tonight that he would have to call me once the episode was over. 

I actually have all 6 seasons on DVD.  I tried to share my enthusiasm two years ago this Christmas.  I was snowed in at his parent's house and brought my first season.  His mother sat with us and actually watched the anal sex episode.  Not a good time.  I can't even tell you how many shades of crimson I turned.  As I went off to work the next few days he apparently tried to understand my passion for the show.  I would get messages like this:

"I can't believe you think guys are like this.  There is no way."

"Are you kidding me?!  These women treat these guys like crap!  Please tell me these are not your role models."

He stopped watching after episode 3.  This was ok for me.  I was tired of trying to defend the analytical Carrie, the sexually charged Samatha, the idealistic romantic Charlotte, and the cynical playing the man's game Miranda.  He was not the typical guy.  So my explainations of, "But you see, you aren't the typical guy," didn't go very well.  He could conceed to that point...kind of.

Almost a year later we embarked on the journey of exploring women celebrating their "fabulousness" in NY.  It happened to coincide with the "fabulous" cable deal, "fabulous" new tv, "fabulous" re-runs of the first season a la The Girls, and the not-so-fabulous me being post-op at his place.  Maybe he was taking pity on me, maybe he was pitching some serious woo, but whatever it was, we got to attempt to change his view.

Tonight I was told, "Season Two, episode 21 is on 'Old Dogs, New Dicks' is on!  Charlotte is dating an uncircumsized guy, Miranda is dating Steve, and did I tell you how great Big is?  He is a funny, cool guy.  I mean, really, what is there not to like about him?  And by the way, you are just as neurotic as Carrie, did you know that?" 

Huh.  I've created a monster.  Last summer all the rage, according to CoJo was tee shirts that read, "I'm a Carrie," or "I'm a Samantha."  Perhaps men will begin to embrace their guilty addictions of "Despirate Housewives" or "Sex and the City."  Before you know it, there will be a fashion rage of guys wearing tee's saying things like, "I'm a Big." 

Well, maybe not that phrase.  I think women would read WAY too much into a tee shirt that had that phrase on it...

No comments: