Wednesday, May 17, 2006

All Y'All

Phew!  Things are going so fast!  I just got back from Louisiana where wedding 2 out of 3 for 2006 occurred.  The first was my dear friend in San Francisco, but I couldn't make it because I was so sick. 

Miss Stacey was married last Saturday at a beautiful plantation.  www.houmashouse.com  I was a bridesmaid.  I can tell you that of all of the times I've been a bridesmaid, this has been my favorite experience.  The dress was pretty, I had hair long enough for an up-do, the weather was perfect, and my fiance flew down to meet me. 

I can say that the bride was a bundle of nerves as the countdown to zero hour.  She was so focused on her tiara looking just right and her make up to be just so.  She was not the talkative chatty southern belle I was used to.  All I could think was, "This is a preview of how I'm going to be."  Or not. 

One of my bridesmaids, Michael the chaplain, instructed me that I needed to get rid of the perfection myth.  On some level that will be easy because details can sometimes elude me. 

Its been a few years since I've been back to NOLA.  I have to say, I couldn't bear to fly into New Orleans, so I flew into Baton Rouge like a coward.  At the rehearsal dinner, the natives (otherwise known as the ya yas) gave me updates on how the city was doing. 

Apparently the lakeshore is still devistated.  There is a waterline along I 10 where the flood waters hit that they haven't washed off.  There are cars that were flooded along the interstate that no one has cleared.  Charity Hospital's Emergency Department has moved to the Lord and Taylor department store.  There aren't any service people.  Even taco bell has limited hours and closes at 7:00 PM.  Emeril's Delmonico restaurant still isn't open...the recorded message says, "Due to Hurricane Katrina, we are still closed."  Emeril's just barely opened up with limited seating, limited hours, and a limited menu.  Tell me again why we're sending troops to guard our southern borders (but not our northern) when the city is still in shreads?

In other news, my engagement photos are up!  www.davinafear.com/alijon/   They are amazing!

No comments: