Thursday, May 4, 2006

Six Degrees

I'm certain everyone has heard about the game, "Six Degrees of Separation from Kevin Bacon."  I, myself, have never played...that is, until today.  Here's the deal:

I have an employee who's roommate just landed a job as a nanny for Meg Ryan, who was married to Dennis Quaid, who was in a movie with Kyra Sedgwick, who is married to Kevin Bacon.  Or, you could just note that I once saw Kevin Bacon perform at the Gallivan Center with his brother.  I actually stumbled into that concert by accident.

What is really amazing is the nannying part.  She is getting paid six figures for taking care of the adopted child and coordinating schedules for the 14 year old with the joint custody arrangement.  (I can tell you this as there haven't been any confidentiality clauses signed.)  Six figures.  What the hell was I thinking going to college, graduate school, and wanting to help the world for my salary? 

Apparently the nanny has been doing this for 14 years.  I had friends who did the nanny thing until their early 20's always swearing they would NEVER hire a nanny (none of them have either).  I'm certain people read the bestseller, "The Nanny Diaries."  Somewhere there is a line between the meager fees, a weekend off, and free room to six figures, Christmas in St. Barts, and movie sets.  This woman crossed that line. 

She was back East working for a rap mogul.  His kids were apparently only brought out for photo ops and to show off the bling.  Ms. Ryan is a huge step up on the parenting involvement.

When I was little I always wanted a nanny (Mary Poppins style), store bought cookies, and thought videos were a huge treat.  Instead I had a stay at home mom, fresh baked cookies, and active imagination games like school/gas station/restaurant. 

I hope when I have kids, they have the same desires and realities I did.  Nannies need not apply.

 

No comments: