Monday, May 8, 2006

Annoying

I must be hormonal except for the fact that the calendar says I should be FINE. 

If you've been paying attention to the "what I'm reading" section recently, it has reflected a variety of different marriage prep books.  I call it my arsenal for a pre-emptive strike against the freak-out I'm trying to avoid but is oh so characteristic of me.  Currently I'm skimming The Medical Marriage for obvious reasons.  The authors (a married couple who are not MD's) suggest reading it together, but I can't figure out why because its all facts and no deep questions for couples to even spawn a conversation.  Basically the message its sending is, marriage is hard but being married to a doctor is worse.  Really comforting, folks.

The previous book I read was by Marg Stark called, What NoOne Tells the Bride.  Its worth a read.  Fear about becoming a Mrs. (as in what you think of as the exclusive title of your mother in law), navigating me-time/we-time, and whatnot.  It was really great to the point that I went in search for her web site.  Wouldn't you know it, she's become a traitor.  Now her site is all about her being a Mommy. 

I have nothing against the motherhood movement.  What's annoying me is that it seems to just be another status ring.  There are lists and lists of blogs dedicated to being a mom and the challenges associated with it.  Please note, I am a fan of them.  However, I do search through the material for issues and topics I can relate to that do not have anything to do with sleeping patterns, poopy diapers, or cheerios.  Please tell me that these women hang on to something of themselves besides their primary identity of being a mom.  They did have a life before pushing a melon out of their hoo haw (yes, the very medically scientific term I adopted from living in the south).

My question is, where are the blogs dedicated to the transition of singlehood to couplehood?  Is this where Sex and the City took off?  Notice there isn't a Mom in the City movement (yet, I should say, yet). 

My future sister in law has a 22 month old.  She lives in LA as a stay at home mom and has tried to expand her social circles.  She let me know that the hierarchy doesn't end once you are a mom.  Nope.  You get bonus points for the MORE children you have.  Thus, because she's only had one, she falls to the bottom of the club. 

My cousin has had two and lives in a very wealthy part of Utah.  To show she is all about it, she has embarked on an extreme make-over of veneers and a boob job.  Apparently she's running for prom queen of the mommies.

Will the hierarchy competition ever end?

No comments: