Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Doggie Ambassador

Remember back in December when my father, Saint Nick himself, got his panties all wadded up and raided the next door neighbors' Christmas gifts?  Today I hopefully sent Edgar on the ambassadorship quest of Hubbard Avenue. 

After work I stopped by to check on the doggy daycare my parents have provided, afterall he is their grand-dog and once the engagement was announced, Edgar could do no wrong.  He was my Dad's buddy and my Mom's lovebug instantly.  All of which I am extremely grateful for by the way.  I wouldn't be surprised if they asked for joint custody once I move to Indiana.  Edgar is a pack animal and really HATES being alone.

Edgar has developed a buddy relationship with the dog next door, Guthrie.  My father, in particular, does not get along with the neighbors.  I think him blatently accusing them of shooting Murphy (another old dog of ours) with a BB gun pushed them over the edge, especially considering we have no proof.  Dad still holds this premise as true with no evidence.  Hence, they dislike Dad and mildly tolerate us.
 
They got Guthrie soon after their youngest son was found dead of accidential causes in their basement a year ago Christmas...coinciding with the anniversary gifts arriving on their front door Scrooge took.  Guthrie is a black lab.  Edgar and Guthrie love each other.  They spend hours running back and forth along the fence that separates the yards.

Today I complimented Guthrie's father about what a good dog he is and I got invited over for a play date.  My mom and I took Edgar over to get acquainted and they hit it off immediately.   The owner said to just leave him there and they would play fetch.  I took this as an olive branch of trust and left for about 45 min.  They got along famously. 

Guthrie's father brought Edgar back to our yard complimenting my dog and said he was welcome over for play dates anytime.  I complimented Guthrie and thanked him for the offer.  A small exchange occurred about his artwork he had in hand about his dead son and I think a connection was made.  The whole time my parents sat inside in awe.

Who knew furry friends could bridge a simple chain link fence?

No comments: