Thursday, June 29, 2006

Martyrdom

 Today I began to reflect upon this topic and my past entry about people causing wars over beliefs.  I actually decided to google the topic and came across the standard definition about someone dying for their convictions or faith.  I could list a few off the top of my head, namely Joan of Arc, but there were lists at the bottom of the page of others.

I was surprised to see Joseph Smith on the list.  I guess it fits as he was killed from gunfire falling from the prision window.  What shocked me was to find other names on the shared list:  Harvey Milk, Gwen Araujo, and Matthew Shepard.  These are all martyrs of the gay, lesbian, and transgendered population.  Who would have thought that they would all be classified as being similar?  I wondered if Joseph would turn in his grave knowing that he shared common ground with those who stood so firmly against what his church believes? 

 

No comments: